How to apply
We do not currently have an open funding round. Please follow us on Twitter or join our mailing list so that you are updated then our next round is released.
Edge Fund Criteria
Edge Fund supports those taking action for a just, equitable and sustainable world. We fund work that challenges abuses of power and aims to bring an end to the systems that cause injustice. This could be our economic system, our political system or any system that discriminates against people based on their identity or background (e.g. class, ability, gender, race, nationality, religion, sexuality, age or other factors).
What we fund:
- Work that creates long-term change in society by addressing the causes of injustice and inequality.
- Work addressing issues facing a particular community that is led by that community (e.g. a group working on issues around sex work should be led by people with direct lived experience of sex work).
- Groups based in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England.
- We fund small groups that struggle to get funding elsewhere, particularly if other funders might consider them to be too radical. The average income of groups we fund is around £2500. If you’ve received funding from mainstream sources, such as the Big Lottery or local council, or have several paid staff, we’re probably not the fund for you.
- We fund all types of non-profit organisations, including groups that are not formally registered.
- Groups who have a religious purpose are welcome to apply but we don’t provide financial support for any activity, initiative or project where the primary aim is to promote religion.
What we do not fund:
- We do not fund traditional charity work that only addresses symptoms of injustice and inequality without aiming to tackle the root causes. So, for example, we would not support activities that only improve health and well-being, or relieve financial hardship and unemployment, or improve social inclusion and harmony, or conserve the environment, or advance education and training. Read more about our values
- We do not fund groups with an annual income over £25,000.
- We are unlikely to fund groups which have been formed within 6 months of applying to Edge Fund, and / or cannot demonstrate 6 months of regular activity (e.g. through social media, press releases, meeting minutes, photos etc). If your group does not have an online presence, please expect us to ask you to demonstrate your work at some point during the eligibility or scoring process.
- In the spirit of honesty, openness and transparency, we ask that you inform us of any major financial changes to your group between applying, and the funding day. If during the funding round, we find that your group has not informed us of notable financial changes (a grant of £3000 or above), or there are significant inaccuracies in your group’s application, we reserve the right not to issue any grant to your group.
- We do not fund commercial or business activity.
- We rarely support registered charities, community interest companies or social enterprises as they usually have more funding options than other types of groups, and do not have radical aims. If you are unsure, please get in touch to ask us if you are eligible before applying.
- We do not support international groups or issues. Groups in the UK & RoI that are targeting a UK & RoI-based target in response to an injustice outside the UK & RoI can apply. For example, we would fund a group of environmentalists within the areas we cover, targeting an company based in the UK & RoI for their crimes abroad. We would not fund a group in a country outside the UK & RoI, targeting a company in the UK or RoI.
- We do not support political parties.
- We are not currently accepting applications from individuals. We suggest that you find a few like-minded people and create a group for your project.
- We do not fund work that is in partnership with, or promotes, the military or police.
- We do not fund the ‘service user’ groups of larger charities. These charities usually have enough access to funding.
Think you are eligible?
Apply here or fill out this application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by the date mentioned in our funding round timeline. If you need help with the application contact us.
- If you’re unsure about whether you fit the guidelines above you might want to take a look at our previous grants.
- You’re also welcome to contact us. Send us a few lines about your group and a link to your website (if you have one) by email email@example.com or call 07719 755410.